Rustic Butter Biscuit Recipe
Boy do I have a treat for you today! My family has asked me to make biscuits for years. They want real, home made biscuits fresh out of the oven for breakfast. I don’t have two hours in the morning to measure, mix, form and bake biscuits so I went on the hunt for some super simple biscuits that I could make quickly! I found Rustic Butter Biscuits and decided to try them for myself! The recipe looked easy enough, but I was worried they would not turn out well. I was so surprised to see these beauties come out of my oven today! You will be pleasantly surprised at how easy, simple and fast these rustic biscuits are to make! Preparing them to bake took me less than 5 minutes! The tops over the biscuits form a slightly crunchy layer while the insides stay soft and fluffy! We served these with some fresh, raw, local honey and home made plum jam! We hope you love them as much as we do!
Ingredients for Rustic Butter Biscuits:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp granulated sugar
2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
1 stick unsalted butter
Instructions for Rustic Butter Biscuits:
1. Preheat oven at 425 degrees.
2. Melt a stick of butter in a microwave safe container and pour into a 9×9 inch baking pan.
3. In a large mixing bowl mix all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt) together.
4. Add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients and mix gently. The KEY here is to barely mix it in. If you over stir or over mix the dough your biscuits will turn out hard. It is ok if the dough is a little lumpy.
5. Dump dough right on top of the melted butter in the baking dish. Using your hands or a spatular spread the dough to the sides and corners of the baking dish. This will force the butter over the sides of the dough and onto the top of the biscuits. This is exactly what you want to happen. It will look like a mess, but I assure you it will be perfect!
6. Using a sharp knife, cut 9 squares into the dough and allow the butter to seep into the cracks.
7. Place Rustic Butter Biscuits in the oven and bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top!
8. Serve warm with raw honey, home made jam or jelly.